20100922

Should I Get Rid of My Cable?

I have recently pondered cutting my cable bill out of my budget and looking at lower cost options.

  • Netflix: I currently have this service.  I get movies and old TV shows.  Some of these I can get streamed directly to my TV.  It costs about $10 a month.
  • Watching shows the next day on the Internet: This is free.  This includes services such as Hulu.  I can either watch these on my laptop or connect the laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable, which tends to be low quality.  This option does not include a lot of cable shows as well as a lot of live sporting events.
  • Hulu Plus: This is a new service from Hulu.  For about $10 a month, I would be able to get TV shows streamed to my TV in high definition.  This includes current seasons of many popular TV shows.
  • Apple TV: With this device (which is about $100), one can rent TV shows for about $1 per episode as well as movies.  This is actually not a serious option because I would rather pay $10 for unlimited episodes instead of $1 per rental episode on Apple.
Ultimately, my wife and I like things such as Food Network and ESPN too much to give up cable.  We'll probably just stick with cable plus Netflix and call it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment