20101109

Study Smarter, not Harder

This has been a topic which has been on my mind a lot lately.

  • I recently came across the website Study Hacks. It has some interesting insights into how to study.  Specifically, it aims to show people how to study smarter, not harder.
  • I realized today that one of my study habits is that I focus on a problem in short spurts without being distracted.  When I have math homework, my mode of attack has been in the past to take an assignment and work on it until I have completed it.  In my single days, this involved me secluding myself from the outside world and studying as intensely as I could.  Now that I am married, I notice that when I am doing a homework assignment, I don't take being bothered well.  I get irrationally irritable when even my wife asks me a question while I am doing homework.  I have taken to calling this state "being in the zone".  I simply lack the extra brain power in these moments to respond to anything not related to my task at hand.  I have been trying my best, therefore, to limit my intense study times to hours when my wife is not around.
  • For some reason, when I think of being a "good student", in the past I always equate it to one variable: how many hours one studies.  Lately, however, I see that effective study is perhaps a two-variable equation.  That is:
    Study Power = Quantity of study X Quality of study.
    I have always compared my quantity of study to others, and when I see someone who has a higher quantity of study than me, I always consider them better students.  However, lately I have come to realize that there is no shame in studying smarter, not harder.  For example, if instead of having an intense focus on my study I had a 75% focus on my study, it would take me 33% longer to finish my homework.
  • I am trying to figure out all the ways in which I can study more efficiently, not only to do my math homework faster, but to learn a bunch of things I am interested in in a more efficient way.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very fascinating insight into studying. I tend to encounter the same dilemma of becoming uncontrollably irritable when I am "in the zone." I tend to run into the issue however that when I'm in the zone I become more efficient but as soon as I begin to feel that I need a break or take a break my efficiency plummets immediately thereafter. Anyways, I think your onto something here hope your well and as always Quack quack quack quack!

    O Merrill do Boston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quack quack quack quack hope you're doing well too. My efficiency also plummets when I slip out of the zone, so when I get in the zone I just try to ride it out as long as I can (or at least until I'm done with what I'm working on). Still, if I have something distracting me, I can go for long stretches without getting anything done because I'm not in the zone.

    ReplyDelete