20101118

Why Can't I Read Books Anymore?

The Internet, that's why.  I recently read an article entitled "Is Google Making Us Stupid?".  It makes an interesting point that the Internet has changed the way our brains work (at least those of us who use it regularly). Instead of being able to sit for hours soaking in a long book, we get bored, we skim the book over, and we jump to the next thing.

I have been thinking about the contrast between skimming over information and diving deep for understanding.  These are really two complementary skills.  For example, in researching this subject, I did a Google search and sifted through information to find the most pertinent information.  As an example of "diving deep", in my experience mathematics is a subject that can only be learned through deeply studying it out.

I have been of the habit to do a whole lot of skimming as well.  Indeed, it is easy to get lost for large chunks of time just surfing the web, superficially absorbing tons of useless, or at least low value, information.  This is something I am going to be working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment